Last year was my first year teaching an Autistic class. I have had children with autism in my class before but never a class full of only children with autism. The first part of last year was a struggle! Not really knowing exactly how to teach these children, learning all new paperwork and procedures, and having a VERY physical child in my class. N (the child's initial) was one piece of work! He would kick, pull hair, try to bite, etc. We had a large mat in the corner of the room that would fold into a hollow (room type thing) where he would go if he became too physical for us.
We decided to participate in the Special Olympics bowling this year (what was I thinking). In reality it was actually pretty fun but exhausting! N did not do well with these trips. He became very stressed due to the change in his schedule, the loud environment, etc. which as a result he became physical. Our first bowling trip, we had a backpack full of anything that we thought we might need to make this trip successful and calm (puzzles for the kids to do while waiting, bandaids, hand sanitizer, diapers, etc.). The bowling alley made us wait for about 10 minutes for an open lane (even though we had reservations) which did not go well with the kids. Finally we changed all of the kids shoes and began bowling. N was stressed from start to finish! He bowled once, kicking and pulling hair and then went to wait for his next turn. My teacher assistant was exhausted from restraining him and trying to do other activities with him to calm him so I took over. It was N's turn to bowl again. He had calmed down quite a bit and only required me to hold him by the hand and lead him to the isle. As I had his hand, I had another child try to run by me. I turned around to grab the other child and N yanked himself out of my hand. As I turned around he began running down the lane and toward the pins. I took off down the lane after him but it was so slippery I could not go fast at all and about fell with every step I took. N figured out that you could crawl under the pin sweeper and behind the pins. I had to get to him quick! The only thing I could think of doing was to slide on my stomach and grab his leg before he went under, so that is exactly what I did. I felt like I was sliding into home plate and barely got his leg. After I caught him I tried to pick him up and carry him down the isle kicking and screaming but there was way too much grease and I was sure we would both fall. N threw himself down on the floor so I grabbed his pant leg and pretty much drug him down the lane (I know, not the most professional thing). We made it back to the table and I had to restrain him because he was trying to bite and pull my hair. I guess from being so stressed he wet his pants, well I was right behind him restraining him so I had pee on me too. My teacher assistant checked our backpack and guess what no extra pants, only clean pullups. My TA took N to the bathroom to change his pants while I went outside and called his mother to come bring him some extra pants (thankfully she just took him home). As I was walking back into the bowling alley my TA told me that as she was pulling N's underwear off he grabbed them, threw them up in the air and they landed on her head (pee and all). We were so ready to leave the bowling alley that day! I had pee all on the front of my pants and my TA had pee on her head. What an exciting bowling trip! From then on, we bring extra clothes in the backpack :)
Come to find out, N's mother told us that he was upset because he has bowled there before and he buys nacho's and cheese to eat while he is waiting to bowl. He was upset this day because he did not have his nacho's and cheese. That is what all of this was about? Nacho's and cheese?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
YOU'RRRRRRE SAFE! AT LEAST UNTIL THE NEXT FIELD TRIP TO THE BOWLING ALLEY.
ReplyDeleteGreat story Meagan!! You guys (teachers AND TA's) are the heroes of the world. Thanks for all that you do for so many that need it.
ReplyDelete